Wigging out with Stephen Malkmus - Page 3

Post-Pavement reunion and adventures abroad, the indie icon talks Beyoncé, Portland fishbowl syndrome, and embracing his classic-rock upbringing

Stephen Malkmus
PHOTO BY LEAH NASH

The only thing that will seem, to Pavement fans, to be conspicuously missing from the record: That old Malkmus sneer (or full on flipped-bird) in the direction of the record industry, and the accompanying, all-too-self-aware ambivalence about his role in it. This, from the former frontman of a band whose biggest mainstream radio single called out the entire record industry for, more or less, the concept behind mainstream radio singles.

"We were coming from a DIY scene, and we wanted to control our own destiny, start our own label, be our own boss. We were about artists' rights," he says, while noting that he doesn't begrudge anyone who goes the corporate route. "I mean, Beck [recently] signed to Capitol, but I'm sure he just did it because he was taking advantage of them as much as he could, because he's in a position of power. A lot of bands weren't back then."

In terms of newer music, Malkmus names SF "neo-psychedelia" bands like Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall as recent favorites, as well as Oakland's own tUnE-yArDs, Sic Alps, Purling Hiss, Kurt Vile, and The War on Drugs. He thinks a minute. "I like Beyoncé," he says, like it's a challenge. "And Jay-Z. And Justin Timberlake; the kids really like him. We listen to a lot of Justin Timberlake in the car."

Looking back, I ask him — in the minute before he has to go, some other dude is supposed to be calling him soon, and he's trying to get Juanita to eat some food — can he imagine being 20, and starting a band right now? With the way the record industry is, with everything he knows about what happens after you "make it" — or even if you never do? He sounds relatively at peace on this album, to be sure, but it's taken long enough.

"Sure!" he replies, without hesitation. "I mean, I think everyone should start a band. It's really low-stakes, and it's fun. If you like music, start a band, and just mess around with your friends. It's better than a lot of things you could be doing, like wasting time on Facebook. Or playing video games. Or...what are kids even doing these days? Snapchat? Sexting on Snapchat?

"Stop sexting on Snapchat and start a band."

Stephen Malkmus
With Speedy Ortiz
Thu/27, 8pm, $21
Slim's
333 11th St, SF
www.slimspresents.com

Comments

There are no words to describe how bodacious this is.

Posted by dissertation writing on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

I went to tons of links before this, what was I thinking?

Posted by doessayonline.com on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

So that's the case? Quite a revelation that is.

Posted by who can�do my essay on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 11:35 pm

That's an apt answer to an interesting question

Posted by do my essay�for me on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 5:02 am

Keep these articles coming as they've opened many new doors for me.

Posted by website on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 6:31 am

Wow, this is in every respect what I needed to know.

Posted by essay writer on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 10:48 am

Glad I've finally found something I agree with!

Posted by car insurance quote on May. 13, 2014 @ 8:02 am

This post has helped me think things through

Posted by famous life insurance sayings on May. 25, 2014 @ 11:48 am

That's really thinking at a high level

Posted by insurance rates for small business on May. 29, 2014 @ 9:03 am

It's great to find someone so on the ball

Posted by cheap insurance on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

No question this is the place to get this info, thanks y'all.

Posted by insurance car on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

So true. Honesty and everything recognized.

Posted by cheap car insurance on Jul. 18, 2014 @ 9:10 pm

It's great to find someone so on the ball

Posted by reproductive organs on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

Hahahaha. I'm not too bright today. Great post!

Posted by product recognition on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 9:45 am

That's really thinking of the highest order

Posted by manly features on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

This post has helped me think things through

Posted by answers on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Whoa, things just got a whole lot easier.

Posted by over thousands on Jul. 30, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

None can doubt the veracity of this article.

Posted by chemical ingredients on Jul. 31, 2014 @ 9:37 am

Many many quality points there.

Posted by healthy ratio on Jul. 31, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

That insight solves the problem. Thanks!

Posted by cipla limited on Aug. 01, 2014 @ 10:56 am

Son of a gun, this is so helpful!

Posted by low-grade chronic on Aug. 01, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

What a neat article. I had no inkling.

Posted by edition on Aug. 03, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

My name is Sarah. i want to use this opportunity to thank my great doctor Areghan who really made my life a pleasurable one today. This great Doctor Areghan brought my husband back to me, i had 3 lovely kids for my husband, about 3 years ago i and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me for one lady. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, until one day i met a good friend of mine that was also in a situation like me but her problem was her ex-boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her. she told me that mine was a small case and that i shouldn't worry about it at all so i asked her what was the solution to my problems and she gave me this great man phone number and his email address. i was doubting if this man was the solution, so i contacted this great man and he told me what to do and i did them all, he told me to wait for just two days and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so i faithfully did what this great man asked me to do and for sure after two days i heard a knock on the door, in a great surprise i saw him on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart flew away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are happy. that why i want to say a big thank you to Dr. Areghan. This great man made me to understand that there's no problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have this same problem or any problem that is similar, i will advise you to come straight to this great man. you can email him: realspellcaster112@gmail.com

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

This is a neat summary. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by particular ingredient on Aug. 04, 2014 @ 11:10 am

Hey, that's a clever way of thinking about it.

Posted by smoker who on Aug. 04, 2014 @ 11:46 am

Hey, killer job on that one you guys!

Posted by hopeless frame on Aug. 07, 2014 @ 10:19 am