H. Brown: Goodbye to all that, we hope

Ah, that old school New Left he-man feeling
PHOTO BY LUKE THOMAS/FOG CITY JOURNAL

In an SF Weekly piece published yesterday, it was announced that progressive political blogger and gadabout H. Brown – an "irascible" man who has attained a specific sort of fame in equal measure for his political connections, his egregious sexism, and his unfortunate alcoholism -- was leaving San Francisco. Where’s he going? The article didn’t see fit to mention. It’s whatever. One can assume Brown’s destination is that netherworld set aside for those whose behavior was enabled by the old school boy’s club blinders of the San Francisco progressive movement, still worn at the dawn of the 21st century.

“Last Call For Know-It-Alls: Classic Specimen of Old-San Francisco Bon Vivantery,” the article was called. It was written by a man; if a woman had written it, the title might have been closer to: “I Just Bought an Evil Eye Necklace, Don’t Look at Me You Cursed Troll.”

Do I sound angry? In 2008 at a DCCC, Brown inquired at top volume and in front of an ex-President of the Board of Supervisors if I was the politician’s escort. When said political leader bailed on the situation, Brown interrogated me on camera about my knowledge of local politics. I wrote about it, most names omitted, for the Guardian. In the article’s wake, I received thankful and supportive emails from men and women across the San Francisco political scene. On his part, Brown sent out multiple emails about me to his prodigious correspondence rolls, one in which he shared an communique from his niece calling me an “ignorant cunt,” another in which he addressed an un-cc’ed me about the election night in question: “You tried to make up for your ignorance by wearing revealing clothing. I was mocking you. And rightly so.”

Nearly every woman in San Francisco politics has one of these stories. When a male politician was accused of any wrong against a woman, Brown could be depended on to dig through the Internet to find evidence that the victim had been asking for it. Those unwilling to suffer him had to opt out of the hobnobbing happy hours and salons in the homes of city leaders, at which Brown was a constant presence.

Ah, old San Francisco bon vivantery. But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you don’t have to care about Brown. You do have to care that this man was your Supervisor’s drinking buddy, that he took Speedo-clad swims in the Bay with progressive leaders. You do have to wonder about what that did to the strength of our political movement. And you might want to wonder about the dynamics behind ubiquitous bigots who are tolerated by people who should know better.

“If comedy is indeed tragedy plus time, however, Brown will leave 'em laughing for posterity,” wrote Weekly reporter Joe Eskenazi. “Friend after friend recalled anecdotes of offensive, bourbon-fueled behavior invariably culminating with Brown being instructed to "Get the fuck out, H.!" But, always, these were happy memories, if not happy occasions.”

None of these friends -- “former supervisors, consultants, academics, political Svengalis, and other city luminaries” – in Eskenazi’s article were women. (The writer, whose work on city issues I do appreciate, told me he did interview women, but apparently none of them said anything printworthy.)

Let’s remedy that now with a few female voices. Not coincidentally, most of these bourbon-fueled memories took place in ex-Supervisor Chris Daly’s since-closed Market Street progressive gathering spot, the Buck Tavern. None are happy.

“This was the first time I was introduced to H. At a benefit at the Buck Tavern I walked in and there were all these progressive journalists sitting around a table with him. He said ‘you’re the one with the great ass!’ He started asking me if I had family members he could date. I was standing there horrified, I just didn’t know what to say. I’m a mouthy lady, and even I couldn’t think of anything to come back with – not just to him, but to every other progressive journalist who was sitting there listening to him who laughed! I said hi to a few people, and then I left the event.”
- Laura Hahn, president of the San Francisco Women’s Political Committee

“Really, I don't give much of a shit about one sad dude calling me a slut and a spy (for Newsom or Pinkerton Guards, depending on the year), but seeing some (not all) progressive men continue to put up with him was pretty demoralizing."
- Anonymous volunteer on several progressive political campaigns

“The confrontation started because I came in to wish [ex-Supervisor and then-owner of the Buck Tavern] Chris Daly a happy birthday and have a drink, and H. asked Chris ‘Who the hell is she?’ To which Chris said, ‘She's the President of the Harvey Milk Club.’ To which H began, ‘You're not even gay, are you?’ I replied, ‘I'm queer.’ ‘Queer?!’ he said, ‘What the fuck is that? Some Shona Gochenauer shit? You're not gay. I can tell you're not gay by looking at you. She doesn't know anything about politics. Look at her -- she's clearly just a vanity president.’ He said something about enjoying things because, "that ass isn't gonna last forever, sweetheart. They [the other patrons in the bar] are only standing up for you because they want to fuck you.’"
- Stephany Joy Ashley, ex-president of the Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club

“As a purveyor of alcohol, I found that the man was a lawbreaking mooch and a pain to deal with.  As a woman, I found him pathetic, insulting, gross, or all three, depending on his mood. The first time I met him he cussed me out for an imagined slight in a way that was actually shocking -- and it takes a lot for cuss words to flummox me. For a time, I simply refused to serve him.”
- Siobhann Bellinger, Buck Tavern bartender

“H. is a bully and a sexist. If you want to look at why the progressive movement is failing it’s because it alienates youth, women, and people of color. Deifying somebody like him is shutting women out, the message is they aren’t welcome. It’s not separated from the fact that progressives are really faltering right now with no leadership and very little inspiration.”
- Debra Walker, artist and longtime activist

“His behavior symbolized the running joke amongst some progressive men that women were there for their own entertainment to be mocked and harassed with no one blinking an eye. FUCK. THAT.”
- Anonymous ex-City Hall aide

These women – and the progressive men who were their allies – were not laughing at the hijinx of a mouthy old man. But people were, and they will be at the party that will be held in honor of Brown’s departure and attended by member’s of our city’s progressive elite.

Supporters say the guy’s behavior was a premeditated mockery of San Francisco’s political correctness, that he was an actor in the grand tradition of political theater. But if he is remembered by generations to come, it will be as the embodiment of an age-old archetype: the dude that other dudes keep around because he says the shit they can’t say to people who aren’t them. After all, who can control their own id?

Eskenazi compares Brown to F. Scott Fitzgerald and notwithstanding that both are writers, I’d like to posit an alternative historical precedent for Brown’s passionate trolling. Remember Bobby Riggs, the proud chauvinist who taunted tennis legend Billie Jean King until she wiped the floor with him in the widely broadcast Battle of the Sexes match? Man, that guy should have been in politics.

Brown was allowed to establish through constant bullying both online and off that only men have the right to feel comfortable in our city’s high-powered progressive circles. As San Francisco continues to cozy up with its new moderate identity, I hope he is remembered less for being a bon vivant and more as a sign that our once-vaunted avatars of progressivism were spending too much time pounding double shots at the Buck Tavern -- while the world changed around them.

Comments

You know it is what we all think and saying as much does less net damage than supporting conservative candidates for one's own political self preservation does.

This garden of the narcissists has to be weeded and pruned because it inhibits grassroots organizing.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned be she Debra Walker by the voters or Leah Shahum at the hands of Richard Ernst.

Once the narcissist has been dissed, once the proper tribute is not paid to the station, then things begin to get serious. Call it the Carole Migden syndrome. But when it is other people getting screwed, the sociopathy of the narcissist rules.

How much abusive crap did the sanctimonious identitarians tolerate from Carole Migden without a word of dissent because she threw wads of corporate cash at them?

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:27 am

You'll never guess who we ran into at brunch this morning!

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

You of all people would surely know that.

Mission gentrifiers, on the other hand, love to brunch.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 6:24 pm
Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 6:41 pm

Brunch is a little like breakfast, a little like lunch, and it comes with a side of cantaloupe.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 6:44 pm

Lenin would turn in his grave.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

Guys,

No need for breaking out the rocking chairs. You just fight from a different point and with different tactics. I'll post from D.C. and then from New York and then from Cuba. Richard and I are more mobile cause we aren't tethered to property.

I'm trying to finish a play called 'Revenge Pussy' that Caitlin and her gang will just love. It's set in a space between 3 triple bay windows in an alley in the Mission (dancers and winos and the like move underneath).

Got the outline and the shit just froze.

Going to see a new Keefer play tomorrow night hoping for some inspiration.

Working on a graffiti murals project with the cops here (say, huh!?!) and a critique of cop shows from around the world.

I know cop shows like no one since I've probably spent a thousand hours watching them over the last year or so.

Marathon em from Australia to France and all U.S.A..

Running from the radio with Sgt. Preston of the Yukon in the late 40's to the 'Bridge' series running on 3 continents in different forms now.

Good to talk to youse guys and hope they don't shut down the thread too quick.

It's become a gathering place for defeated Progressive shock troops.

Wish they had bourbon.

Where are all the girls?

Despite what the Guardian says, no one worships women more than I do.

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 12:09 am

I've given up drinking 3 pints of ale every day after 25 years of that, do not enjoy being drunk and/or hungover anymore.

And after cleaning up Joe Lynn's room almost 5 years ago now, I got an Irish inheritance, a taste for the finer hard stuff.

I keep my alcohol bottled up, saved for non-school nights, sipping two ounces of tasty Willets Rye every Fri/Sat.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 9:13 am

boring all the time. Twelve steppers have replaced the addiction of drink with the addiction of being preciously tedious all the time.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 9:32 am

Again, it is this 20% of people who can't handle their shit, be it maintain their identity when someone else contests it, know when to say when on their alcohol and substances and who have to draw absolute lines in the sand to save them from themselves, vegetarians, 12 steppers, Kinsey 1's and 6's, you name it. And then they have to externalize their therapy process by ritualized two minute hate of the enemies of the status.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 11:11 am

weird reason, a dozen or so women posted here in support of the slap-happy Ross.

It turned out that half of those women were the same KrisKraft posting under multiple names, but it was still weird.

Good luck, harold. You're one of the good guys.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 9:23 am

Lovers and haters,

Totally stoked. Accepted the gift on an airline ticket to D.C. on May 9th from my daughter and son-in-law.

Schedule:

FLIGHT INFORMATION
Day, Date Flight Class Departure City and Time Arrival City and
Time Aircraft Meal
Fri, 09MAY14 UA671 XN SAN FRANCISCO, CA
(SFO) 12:45 PM DENVER, CO
(DEN) 4:20 PM 757-200 Purchase

Fri, 09MAY14 UA377 X DENVER, CO
(DEN) 5:55 PM WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 11:13 PM A-320 Purchase

Here's my song for departure:

A new adventure.

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 9:30 am

his airline itinerary, his phone number, and his personal correspondence with "friends" on the comment pages of a website must be pretty socially isolated. I might empathize with his plight (like the guy who posts about his problems with DPH) if it weren't for the misogyny and elitism (I'm a great writer, look at me. By the way, I'm drunk and stoned so I'm not totally responsible for being an asshole).

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:51 am

cheap anonymous shots around.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 11:20 am

It's true that people rarely leave an area where they have strong ties to family, friends and employment. Of course, the US wouldn't have become such a hotbed of opportunity for the masses of dispossessed that came from Europe, Asia and lands south of the border if human migration for better opportunities wasn't part of our shared history. Currently lots of boomers are migrating overseas for much cheaper living situations to spend their final days, while poor families from Central and South America continue to trudge north to the US for much better opportunities here than they could ever hope to find in the feudalistic countries where they were born. Wealth inequality is a huge issue in the US, but it's even more entrenched in most countries south of the border.

I assume the peoples who fled Asia 12-20,000 years ago and crossed the frozen Bering Strait to the US were just as dispossessed as people currently pushed out of SF because their wealth and incomes don't permit surviving and flourishing in the homeland.

The original farewell piece on SF Weekly was a nice tribute since many people have crossed h's path over the years, for better or worse. It's also fun to hear some of the "oldtimers" come out of the woodwork too in response to Caitlin's "the other side of h's story." I hope he gets a huge farewell party and is able to achieve one or two last goals before we get the news of his passing, assuming some of us aren't gone ourselves before then.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 11:25 am

Hey guy/gal/whatever,

I know, I know, it's almost as if I'm using this chance to use a much-read thread featuring me to blow my own horn from a taller soap box than my own.

What's next, ads for my friend's new just-opened brilliant play?

Which reminds me ...

The divine and divinely talented Krissy Keefer opened the latest of the couple of thousand productions she has produced at Dance Mission at 24th and Mission on Thursday just past (I always take BART but it is readily accessible by Muni lines.

Play is:

Hemorrhage: An Ablution of Hope and Despair

("Lots of drums" says the woman the Chron called: "The lesbian Cecille B. DeMille of San Francisco")

January 24-February 8, 2014
Dance Brigade presents
Hemorrhage: An Ablution of Hope and Despair

January 24-February 8, 2014
Thursdays-Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 6pm
(Please note showtimes Sat, Feb 8 are 4pm & 7pm)

Tickets are available at www.brownpapertickets.com or 1800-838-3006
$30 reserved seating/Dance Brigade supporter
$22 general admission, in advance
$27 general admission, at the door

In the audience tonight will be:

Your own Bulldog who persuaded Ms. Keefer to run against Pelosi

Doug MacAbee, who drove Keefer and her Dance Brigade and their Taiko drums in a good sized motor home after I caught a post and tore off the rear bumper in 2006.

What a day that was!

Sterling Moss not being available, reserve driver, MacAbee leaped in and drove for over 12 hours as the rolling Keefer campaign headquarters went from stop to stop either leading or following Gavin Newsom's limo and caravan (cops actually must have thought we were with him cause they let us park in front of or behind him at all stops -
Gus Murad's Medjul's was really cool stop).

Here's the girl on the trail:

The Cohens will be there (Becky and Daniel)

The lent the motor home.

Luke Thomas (best photographer in California) and his lovely bride Laila will be there.

See you at Dance Mission tonite!

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 11:35 am
Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

I first met h. Brown at a fundraiser for the amazing Krissy Keefer, back when she was running for Congress. Some time later, h. attended a Green Party holiday party where he held my newborn baby girl.

I was confused by Caitlin's original article about her bad experience with h. I fail to comprehend why h. was not mentioned by name in that piece. Instead, he was referred to repeatedly as a "progressive leader".

I don't know anyone who calls h. a "progressive leader." I certainly wouldn't. He is a gadfly with extensive knowledge of local government, mostly gained by watching many hours of SFGovTV. Most SF media outlets do not cover City Hall with any depth, if at all. The writings of h. often filled this gap.

I wouldn't call Aaron Peskin a progressive leader either. His voting record on the Board of Supervisors was just so-so. I also wouldn't point to Daly's Dive as being the be-all, end-all of political discussion. Daly took ownership of that bar only after serving 10 years on the Board of Supes as part of the much vaunted Class of 2000.

As a volunteer in a variety of organizations and campaigns, I have had good and bad experiences. Many of the worst were with powerful local female politicians. Some of them were very disrespectful to me, and in a few cases they were downright mean.

But, I have a very thick skin. As a Green Party member, a blubber-like outer layer is practically a requirement, given the endless criticism hurled at us.

Posted by Erika McDonald on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 11:39 am

Readers,

I think this Bett Middler song describes my relationship with Ms. Donohue.

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

Naw,

I've never been a "Progressive leader". I've always been an unpaid flack for campaigns. Peskin called me a 'pundit' which is, I'd guess, a step higher than a gadfly.

I got my power, as you mentioned, from spending at least 12 hours daily watching the BOS and all of the other commissions and agencies online thru SFGTV and then turning out regular columns in which I mixed lots of attempts at humor and sex.

Edgy, yuh know?

At my peak I could email several top supes during meetings and they'd answer me and sometimes use my prompts when they got the floor back.

Like Albert Brooks line in ... what was it? ... 'Network'?

"I say it here, and it comes out there." (pointing to TV will William Hurt is doing a pretty good imitation of Dan Rather)

A friend has been reading this thread (but not commenting) and he said that my performance reminds him of a line from a British officer's report ...

"Since my last report he has reached rock bottom and begun to dig."

Thanks again, Erika

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

I have read some these comments posted here, not all as there is just to many. What I get from what I have read is there seems to be a trend, male and female paying homage to H then on the other side of the rock there are the self described victims that blame H for their miserable life. The ones that are paying homage to H seem to far out number the ones that are posting and saying look what H has done to me.
H will always be remembered as he has touch many lives here in San Francisco, .Happy trails H.
I for one will miss you.
Sloane.

Posted by davidinSF on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:41 pm

Oh yeah,

I've fallen into situations in which I rubbed shoulders with famous people since I was about 5 years old and Jimmy Hoffa picked up my dad at our house cause pop was an organizer on the docks at Kroger's in 1950 or less.

Two years later I was scurrying around in parking lots putting Adlai Stevenson bumper stickers on the backs of cadilacs.

Many years later after my nightclub failed in St. Louis (who knew that Preludin and bourbon wasn't a good fuel for a business model?) ...

So, I ended up at the LA Times as a clerk and the owner, Otis Chandler was a billionaire sportsman who had entire magazines created for him so that he could win an award and be on the cover and one of these magazines (he made Warren Hellman look like a skinflint) ...

One was a racing magazine cause Chandler (hell of a nice guy by the way) and Otis' people created the LA Grand Prix so that he could be partners with Sterling Moss in one of those 24 hour things.

They had categories of course.

Still, even when there was a special category for a certain kind of antique racing cars from a certain era (like maybe 1928 to 1932 and a certain horsepower or whatever), even with Sterling Moss as his partner it took a couple of years for them to win the category.

But LA had a world class Grand Prix event.

Same with track.

That's when I met Chandler.

He was (he died in 2006 at 78) running the most successful ad agency in the world at the time called the LA Times where we set the record for revenue (1.5 billion a year) and this was the 70's.

Selling ice water in Death Valley we were.

He bought all the competition.

So, I'm a clerk jogging to work and they see me and recruit me as the slowest ringer in history for the 'Corporate Games' where the rest of the team was inconsequential but the thing was to get Otis a trophy and his picture on a magazine created for that express purpose (but, of course, Otis had the best management team in media and they made money off of all these magazines).

I believe Otis won his trophy for placing first in a category of something like, 'Chairman's of the Board with controlling interest' or something like that.

But, I was a mainstay in other events where we never won but did if you know what I mean.

I ran in every event and seldom fell down or shat my shorts.

I was a team guy first.

Again, he was a great guy and Tom Johnson was his top dog brought in from LBJ on
his way to running CNN for Ted Turner.

As God is my witness, I'm Forest Gump with an IQ.

So, yeah, 'Guest' that's my Stirling Moss story.

Why do I tell it?

Cause this Guardian attack upon me is not about me commenting as a joke about someone having a nice ass (forget that one entirely) ...

This is about Steven T. Jones trying to convince the world that I'm a bad person and a terrible writer.

Marke B. has been kind enough to allow me to establish my case that I'm not a prick most of the time and all of us are pricks some of the time.

Except for women.

They're 'cunts' some of the time.

Language is my specialty.

You figured that out yet, Steve?

Keefer play, 'Hemorrhage' was the best show ever presented in the world and I'll be back at you with Luke Thomas pictures and a review for you to read tomorrow.

Go Giants!

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:56 pm

babies. Political correctness has hijacked and neutralized the progressive movement and Caitlin isn't even the worst example.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Please be civil to your daughter and son in law.'

Remember, you will be on their turf. They are doing you a big favor by taking you in.

Keep the liquor consumption low.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 5:27 am

I'll have my own place,

Thanks for your advice but I'll have my own place. A 2 bedroom place there backed against the mountains goes for $400 a month or less.

I'll drink to that.

Warriors are fun to watch, huh?

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 9:31 am

I would like to express all my love and gratitude for my Uncle Harold Brown. I am his niece Jessica from St. Louis and therefore have not got to spend much time with my uncle while growing up. Within the last few years though, I feel that I have developed a close and deep emotional bond with him.

As a side note about me, I have not had a relationship with my own father since I was 13 because in short he was an alcoholic, violent, and just generally dangerous and unhealthy to be around. As a young person I did have a few great male role models. My most memorable of which was my "uncle" Vernon.

Vernon was a loud-mouthed, tequila drinking, very wise, articulate, and smart ass old man. I knew Vernon when I was maybe around 15-19, until he passed away from a heart attack. I missed him greatly and found a similarly kindred soul in my uncle H. Vernon was Native American and had moved to St. Louis after working in the music industry in the security realm. I loved Vernon so much because he told everyone everything that was on his mind. The catch with that is sometimes you have to hear the things you don't want to hear. Vernon would often tell me that I would catch navel phenomena due to my mid drift showing all the time.

I love people like this because, one, I am on of these people and I was raised that if a friends needs to hear something then it is your duty as a friend to not bite your tongue just because you don't want to hurt their feelings. If they are your friends and you are expressing how you feel because you care, then they will understand and maybe not change but at least hear your opinion. Two, the world needs more people like this because sometimes people don't have friends who will tell it to them how it is and that is unfortunate.

Anyway, I would spend a lot of time at Vernon's because he was great to be around and due to his health conditions he needed help around the house for various things, cooking, cleaning and the like. I would hangout over there for a few hours at a time and he would tell me stories about his days touring with bands and seeing the world. I have a tendency to cuss too much, but this was never a point of judgement at Vernon's house. When things get heated, heated language is in order, no one and no topic was off limits for ridicule. As someone who likes tequila now, I can appreciate what adding a few layers of 1800 will do. He was a blast and absolutely hilarious. He was more of a ladies man and while he had plenty of guy friends, on the holidays there would be a constant procession of all of his ladies bringing him homemade goodies. He made everyone so happy. He was really the first person in my life who I lost. I had not experienced a close family death at that point and I was truly devastated when he passed.

At some point, I started getting my uncle H's emails and I realized that I had a real uncle with all these same qualities that I loved about Vernon. H is also a loud mouth, which comes off in a different way often since we mostly only communicate online. He has amazing stories and always has his eyes on everything which really impresses me. In St. Louis, there is no real way to keep up on the nitty gritty of what is really going on around here. This is sure to make anyone less than best friends of most, but I have an extra special place in my heart for those with the courage to say what is on their minds.

As someone who considers themselves a social justice advocate, I relate with the dilemma of saying what needs to be said and possibly burning some bridges in order to do so. We actually come from a whole family of these people for better or for worse, I guess it depends on who you are. We have loving titled ourselves, with H being the shit disturber, I am a boat rocker, and his daughter is a bridge builder. The world needs all of us. What has been really great for me is to have H as a sounding board and someone to talk to who really understands me. We have long on going discussions about the things we see in the world. To speak for myself, what upsets me is not the problems, but all of the simple solutions that go ignored as well as all the people who get fucked over so others can make tons of money. It has been so meaningful to know that I have someone close to me who not only gets it but cares.

I have to be honest as I sit here and type I am getting a little teary eyed, because having him in my life really means a lot more to me than I guess I identified before. I do not have a lot of great male role models in my life, but I don't think that I could ask for a better one. Yeah H might not be a perfect human being, but he also would not hide his flaws and would probably be the first to agree and poke fun of them too. H is a satirist because if you really think about all of the things that we think about all the time it gets really depressing. Life has to be funny and it takes a good smart ass to do this. Unfortunately, these people are too far and few between so often they are under appreciated when they are around. Whenever I need something to brighten my day I will skim through my emails from H and either find a great song to listen to, a funny story, or some kind of crazy political drama that gets my juices flowing and I join in the rant or rave.

H gives me hope, makes me laugh, listens, cares, and is truly an amazing guy. He doesn't have boundaries where most people would and that opens the world in ways most people are not aware of. Ben Franklin warned that most people die when they are 25, but they are not buried till they are 75. H was in a rut one day and I reminded him of this and told him that he should still be happy because he has not let his figurative fire go out on the inside, which as someone who recently turned 26 sometimes, I feel the wind blow against my flame sometimes, but luckily have someone with an older and stronger flame to turn to.

I would challenge people not of these general persuasions to sit and reflect about their lives for a while. First, think about a time recently that you were angry about the way something turned out. Think about it........ Why were you angry........... What did you do about it?................... If you answered nothing, then I am afraid you did not heed Mr. Franklin's warning and you might want to start this story over. Even if the only thing you do is reflect, vent, or take a few shots and banter with the crowd, this shit is important. In the least, bottling up anger no matter how large or small is not good for your health, should be dispelled immediately and turned into ridicule and laughter at every chance possible. If you need help, get a hold of H. There is also the chance he gets to you first ;)

With Love,
Jessica

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

harold, you said: "Think about it........ Why were you angry........... What did you do about it?................... If you answered nothing, then I am afraid you did not heed Mr. Franklin's warning and you might want to start this story over. Even if the only thing you do is reflect, vent, or take a few shots and banter with the crowd, this shit is important."

Isn't this what Caitlin did by writing this column? Although I think you're getting a little too much press and it's gone to your head.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

A deep examination of how the left has failed in SF, with an emphasis on the blame being firmly on the transition of progressives away from their traditional values and in favor of political correctness, card playing, identity politics and injecting of envy into every sphere of endeavor.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 3:15 pm

No, Caitlin achieved her goal which was to strengthen her credentials amongst the identitarians by going on on a limb, taking a personal risk in the lion's den to prove that there still is so much work to be done, so much women hating in the progressive movement, that we really can't move forward until that is all cleaned up.

Only those truly enlightened whose language passes the test may participate. And I'd like to clarify the "dried up husk of a woman" remark from this weekend. Progressives are a spent force. They only play defense and have no coherent, affirmative, positive engaging and mobilizing agenda. They don't get paid if they contest the framings fo those who pay them. It is those people who ran for office prepared to play nice with developers, who supported the Eastern Neighborhoods gentrification plan, and distinguish themselves by offering to throw the community a few crumbs around the edges who are dried up husks.

Other women Walkers' age and older are not dried up husks, this has nothing to do with age and everything to do with political exhaustion. Jane Morrison and Denise D'Anne are engaging dynamos with solid consistent liberal to progressive values when compared to Walker and they're decades older.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I'm not sure she gives good anything else.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 6:25 pm

Putting this in terms that progressive stalwarts will understand: whenever you spend resources defending an allies' feelings and demonstrating to your clique that you find allies' feelings more important than social injustice, you're not doing the work to stop evictions and people are being displaced.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 6:31 am

than actually try and enjoy life. They lack a sense of humor and proportion. They are mired in their world of identity politics, and riddled with envy.

Nobody could ever credibly make those allegations about h. brown.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 9:02 am

Campers,

I'm so proud of my family. Jessica's grandmother (my sis) once shut down an entire hospital when she organized the nurses to join a union and the administration fought it, then shut the place down instead.

Jessica was big in Occupy St. Louis.

Whole family of shit disturbers.

Here's what she looks like (taken in my Skid Row room in the Tenderloin (note my use of pegboard mounted on sticks salvaged from campaign signs to create vertical storage in a room that's under 100 square feet)

20130803_150319.jpg

Column I did at the time ...

Folders Options Search Help

Message List | Unread | Delete Previous | Next Forward | Forward as Attachment | Reply | Reply All
Subject: Fwd: My blood line twice removed
From: "Liz Wolf"
Date: Mon, January 27, 2014 11:32 am
To: h@ludd.net
Priority: Normal
Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version | Download this as a file

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: h@ludd.net
> Date: August 4, 2013, 12:50:27 AM PDT
> To: h@ludd.net
> Subject: My blood line twice removed
> boys and girls,
> This is a Luke Thomas shot of my
> sister's daughter's daughter and her guy
> on a Phish road trip visit to my Skid Row
> abode.
> Remember when you used to meander
> across the country following great scenery
> and music?
> They still do.
> This is Jessica Lake and she's finishing up
> her masters at the University of Missouri
> at St. Louis where her mom got her law degree
> and her grandmother (my almost-twin sis) got
> her masters in nursing. The Browns are a
> legacy family for that institution.
> Jessica and her guy, Mike bought a house
> together back in St. Louis (1,200 sq. ft. for
> under a hundred K) ...
> As Angela Alioto nods when we speak of such:
> "God bless the child that's got it's own."
> lol
> Good pic huh?
> I don't get many relatives visiting me here.
> Most of my back home folks are religious nut
> jobs who think that SF is teetering on the
> brink of Hades.
> Two of my sisters once came to visit me but
> like Edward Snowden, they wouldn't leave the
> airport and come into town.
> They thought the devil would get them.
> Had to visit them at a hotel near SFO.
> But, the grandkid turned out OK, huh?
> Go Giants!
> h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 12:58 pm

boys and girls,

Hell of a time relaying the photo but the
two of you would get along famously without me
in between.

again, thanks for the soapbox on my way out

from a provider on their way out

Go Giants!

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 6:49 pm

Yet you're posting your ravings here endlessly, so when is that going to happen (please let it be soon) and will it be permanent? Are you raffling off the chance to put a stake in your heart to make sure?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 9:06 pm

It's a ploy for attention from a consummate attention whore. Most people would just freakin' leave, but not h. He's like a turd that won't flush.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 9:53 pm

If Caitlin had any decency, she would apologize

Posted by davidinSF on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

She's doesn't have the spine to apologize affirmatively.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 7:39 am

Caitlin should no more have to apologize, especially at the behest of David Sloane, than h Brown should have to apologize, they own their work and each of their work products speaks for itself.

What is it about some people that their sense of self esteem is predicated upon the validation of others and collapses if contested?

Oh noes, someone said something coarse that I don't like, stop the show and let's deal with it because the feelings of the activist, author or advocate are much more important than the consequences of failing to politically contest corporate power.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 8:10 am

I'd suggest that she "grow a pair" but she'd probably just play another card.

Political correctness has ruined progressive politics.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 8:32 am

Instead of engaging crazy man, which will result in more crazy, she left it alone.

Then later it's terrible to mention that Brown is crazy?

This is an interesting one sided thing here. Maybe she should have let it go for good, it's not nice to torment those who seem to have an obvious hardwiring issue.

Political Correctness and card playing is the basis for progressive thought and politics.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 8:50 am

But she was weak and couldn't resist one last poke at the guy who skewered her self-righteousness and femininity with a single deft barb.

We need h. brown and his lilting satirical swagger a lot more than we need Caitlin and her "mouth for rent" broadsides of bitterness and fury.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 9:09 am

The fall back progressive stance is, I'm the real victim here and it's your fault that I am upset.

Your stance is "my intolerant and screeching pal should be able to run wild, if it's pointed out he is a clown, then he is the real victim, of whatever"

Soon after high school I dropped these types who couldn't behave, I couldn't make excuses for their behavior. it's good to have enablers it seems,

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 10:23 am

That is the progressives' downfall.

But yes, if Caitlin could have thought quicker on her feet, or simply ducked the whole thing, she wouldn't need to make a fool of herself years later.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 10:52 am

I am Latchmie, i never believes in spells and magic until i experienced one sometimes ago and it really worked for me. I was in love with this guy and he was in love with me for 4 years and we were Ready to get married until this a lady strolled along and took my man away from me. i was really devastated so i contact a friend of mine who now introduce me to Dr. Stanley, and he said that he is going to help me cast a spell that we bring back my man within three day and truly to the word i got my man back within the three day as promised by Dr. Stanley. You can contact him via his email address drstanleyspelltemple@hotmail.com or call +2348038139297. If you need his help..........{Latchmie}

Posted by Latchmie on Jan. 27, 2014 @ 8:58 pm

All,

I still have 102 days here. Yes, the move is permanent. At my age you have to assume that. I love San Francisco and consider it to be the best city in the world and I've been to London and Paris and Rome and Madrid and New York and Naples and Venice and Zurich and Istanbul and Athens and many many other cities. For me, San Francisco is the best.

But, I've been here for most of the last 35 years and it's time for a new adventure.

I didn't choose to drive this most-popular thread on the Guardian.

The Guardian chose to attack me when they heard that I was to be honored by some friends and enemies at a roast.

I don't mind the tussle.

I've flacked on this site off and on for years.

Backing a variety of candidates and issues.

I hadn't even read anything here for the last couple of years and only came back to defend myself.

That's because most of the core posters here are human scum.

Really.

No kidding.

Anonymous too.

I don't like to deal with people like that.

If I want to be ridiculed and disrespected and lied to and about?

I'll get married again.

This thread is pretty much played out anyway.

Caitlin and Jones are cowards.

They attacked me and then went away and hid under their desks when I responded.

I don't blame them.

I'm a pretty formidable debater and writer.

The Guardian used to be the spear tip of SF Liberals/Progressives

Now, they're in their death throes and trying to build circulation by attacking the most articulate voice of SF's Left for the last 20 years.

It won't work.

I'm popular but not that popular.

Anyway, this thread is pretty much dead due to lack of general interest so I'd like to wish the staff of the Guardian good luck on their search for new jobs.

If I had to choose a historical reference to the conduct of Jones and Donohue on behalf of the Guardian I'd say something like ...

'Guardian trapped in Donner Pass tries to eat h. brown!'

I'm indigestible folks.

Too old.

Too tough.

Is that Valentine's Day I see on the horizon?

Love to y'all.

Here's a Neska/LaFlamme song for the occasion.

She did it at my night club in 1978.

Best love song I ever heard.

Happy job search, Steven T. Jones.

A song for the day ...

It's 'Food Stamp Blues' by Neska/Linda LaFlamme/Rudman

She wrote this when she was playing at my night club in St. Louis over 35 years ago.

Here's her most popular song ...

She's one of my best friends and into her 70's just drove a 6,000 mile round-trip from Northern Virginia to Oakland through blizzards to comfort a sick friend.

Has offered me her couch til I get into my own place (she lives 30 miles from my son).

She's the best person I ever knew in my life.

And, one of my very best friends for decades.

A message to you, Caitlin.

My friends are gold.

Your friends are assholes.

Pitchers and catchers report in 18 days.

go Giants!

h.

Posted by Guest h. brown on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 5:26 am

Your howls that the Guardian let people post opinions that you don't agree with, so you packed your bags and left. Quite comical your position now.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 8:54 am

Don't know H Brown, but all his writing sounds like the internet version of one extended drunken rant by someone who's about to get thrown out of a bar.

'Yeah, I called you a whore and you deserve it! I called you a whore and I'll do it again 'cause you ain't nothin' special. I call every woman I know a whore and they love it! And I'll tell you what else -my niece thinks you're a c---, 'cuase she's just as classy as I am. You wanna write about me in the Guardian? Well fuck you! [*hick*] Ima better writer than all ya'll put together [*hick*]. I'm the best goddam voice the left ever had in this city! You wanna piece o-me, ya cowards? Come over here and debate me! I'll show you 'cause I'm a master debater! [spit flying from the mouth] You wanna throw me out? Hell Ima gonna leave when I wanna leave! I'm gonna be here next three months and I'll say ma piece, and then I'll travel the world, that's what I'm gonna do. I've been to evry city in the world so there! And I got friends in every one o-them. Your friends are shit compared to the friends I have! [*burp*] And you know what else? This bar's shit too! I used to own a bar in St Louie ten times better than this dump ...best damn bar in St Louie...' [WHUMP -falls off the bar stool and lands in a pool of his own vomit]

So fine. I understand why this guy is entertaining. If this is the way he behaves, particularly around alcyhol, I'm sure the whole place turns to watch the spectacle of a human train wreck of a man. And I understand why the conservatives love him so much -if he's a self-styled "lefty" then anything that embarrasses the left is fun for the right. And he sure seems like an embarrassment. But what I don't get is this. Some of you guys on the left apparently tolerate this clown. Why? I hope this isn't what progressivism is all about. Progressives are supposed to be tolerant and all, but I tolerating someone like this is a bit much. If he swam in right wing circles, someone would've socked him in the face and dropped him cold and that would've been that.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 28, 2014 @ 8:59 am

Also from this author

• H. Brown: Goodbye to all that, we hope

• Ignore less

20 great educational opportunities in 2014

• You can't see me

High concept anti-surveillance fashion finds mass appeal