Save your Valentine's Day date, order a bike-delivered condom

So your Valentine’s Day date is going great, way better than expected, and it’s looking like some hot sex might be where this is headed. But, d’oh, you forgot the condom! What to do? Well, San Francisco-based condom manufacturer L. is now launching a new project to “save your date,” as they say: a condom delivery service.

That’s right, starting on Valentine’s Day, L will have a bike messenger deliver one of its high-quality, socially conscious, sustainably produced love gloves anywhere in San Francisco that you need it, within one hour, for just $5. That, my fellow lovers of lovings, is quite a deal.

“We are rethinking condoms in many ways,” company founder and CEO Talia Frenkel tells the Guardian.

She started the company after working as a photojournalist and Red Cross worker in sub-Saharan Africa covering the AIDS crisis, an experience that lead her to create a condom company that delivers one free condom to Africa for every condom purchased here. Frenkel has also has tryied to innovate with the materials the company uses and the way it markets and distributes the condoms.

That led to her latest idea: “What about how we actually deliver it? More and more, we are living in an on-demand culture.”

So she partnered with bike messenger companies in San Francisco and Los Angeles and voila, condom deliveries. Or as Frenkel put it, “The idea is how do we save people’s dates.”
To order yours, call 213-935-0843, order via the company’s website, or use the cell phone app that is coming soon.

Comments

FINALLY, a high quality, socially conscious, sustainably produced prophylactic that jives with my high quality, socially conscious, and sustainable form of bonin.

Sex just isn't as enjoyable when it isn't accompanied by a healthy dose of liberal white guilt. Bottom line, however, is that this is classist against those too poor to afford a five dollar bike delivered jim hat and are subsequently forced by "the man" to rely on more quaint solutions like pulling out.

Sandra Fluke needs to make these condoms free, or else those Republican fat cat lobbyists over at BIG CONDOM will win, cause you know, like, corporations run the world, mannnn. This is an outright attack on womyn!

Quick, assemble a protest and let's loot some Nikes to show em what's up. Down with the capitalists over at BIG CONDOM.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 14, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

Great story.

I met a fellow named Jessie the other night who is developing an outdoor aerobic excercise group using a bike with a brightly lighted trailer to bring his gear to the site; which may or may not be near the Java House on a regular basis.

Elsewhere I've heard of an outfit that actually does house moving using bikes. According to the account I heard, they can move an absurdly large number of objects in one trip also using trailers: such as a sofa plus a bed plus more. (I suppose those fellows walk on legs that look like tree trunks.)

More of this is great, but there needs to be better safety for those who choose bike around.

Yesterday I was surprised to find somebody in a car sharing a lane with me as I sped south on Third in the vicinity of Palou. There is no bike lane and I was travelling well over 20mph as I noticed the vehicl pull to within six inches of me. Another driver cut in front of me only to slow suddenly to make a right turn.

There is a law on the books in California now that drivers must not approach withing three feet of a bicyclist. How about a Sunshine inquiry as to how many tickets San Francisco's finest have handed out so far? It shouldn't have been to hard for them to have caught somebody by now. (I'm sure they are still handing out tickets to bicyclists.)

*real lillipublicans or fake lillipublicans? Reader must decide.

Posted by lillipublicans* on Feb. 19, 2014 @ 11:52 am

And take this driver into custody?

Posted by Guest on Feb. 19, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

I probably wouldn't have done a citizen's arrest anyhow since I was sort of in the mood for summary judgement.

Posted by lillipublicans on Feb. 19, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

You simply detain the vehicle's occupant, state the legal basis for that detention, and read him his rights. You then call the cops and hand the perp over to them.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 19, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

so a driver buzzed you to send you a wake-up call.

As a slower vehicle, you have a statutory obligation to keep to the right regardless of any "three feet rule" which, realistically, is impossible to enforce anyway.

The safest way to ensure three feet of lateral space is to keep well to the right of the normal stream of traffic.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 19, 2014 @ 12:23 pm

I don't want all this SFBG troll BS to distract from my main point. It should have been pretty easy for the SFPD to have nailed some drivers who use their motor vehicles to terrorize bicyclists. They have cameras on their cars, right? The SFPD should have already issued dozens of tickets since the law took effect on January 1st.

Posted by lillipublicans on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 2:21 am

And to so many drivers, merging into a bike lane to make a right turn means not needing to bother with checking whether that lane is occupied legally by a bicyclist. If possible in that case, I get in front of them to block them from turning right on red to reinforce that they are indeed in a bike lane.

Posted by marcos on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 6:25 am

is because you ride like a selfish, inconsiderate, pompous ass?

Posted by Guest on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 7:00 am

I conduct myself in such a manner as to maximize the carrying capacity of the roadways and the convenience of other drivers* as a parallel goal to getting where I am going safely and efficiently.

I think I understand marcos' comment as him trying to out-troll the trolls, but it is silly to get into people's way unneccessarily; is that not akin to drivers who throw their car doors open to block motorcyclists who are lane sharing?

Again, I believe marcos knows this and is just being flippant.

We bikeys cannot wage and win a war against automobiles, but we can insist that laws are enforced. If the cops are still writing completely stupid tickets which prevent riders from jumping red lights when otherwise they are simply sitting ducks for half-conscious drivers, then they damn well should be enforcing the common sense law that went on the books in January.

*I've learned to not *always* give drivers a break because sometimes they are just being too damn lame for me to want them in front of me, but 90% of the time a visible tail signal anywhere in forward-looking field of view (though not necessarily in front of my car) is enough to get me to yield.

Posted by lillipublicans on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 9:50 am

citing cars for being too close to a cyclist who isn't keeping right probably isn't one of them.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 10:13 am

having vehicles needing to be close to you to pass you. It's safer.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 7:00 am

In the moderm society sex advice, support and supplementation with proteinas can achieve significant improvements in your sexual status and reductions impotency. The proteinas could be eaten oral, enteral, alone or in combination, and should be considered for all people who lack of sex intesity. Check more support for proteins at www.proteinas-baratas.eu

Posted by Mr. Protein on Feb. 23, 2014 @ 9:36 am